ML Series - Bearing Isolator
ML – MILLENNIUM® Design metallic bearing isolator, flange mounted
This metallic non-contact, labyrinth design provides unsurpassed two-way protection and extreme temperature compatibility. Designed for flange mounted non-flooded applications where aggressive contaminants need to be excluded from the system.
- OPERATION TYPE: Non-Flooded
- MAXIMUM SURFACE SPEED: Up to 7,000 fpm (35 m/s)
- PRESSURE RATING: 0 psi
- AXIAL MOVEMENT: 0.020 inch (0.51 mm)
- ECCENTRICITY: 0.020 inch (0.51 mm)
- OPERATING TEMPERATURE: -40° to 400 °F / -40° to 204 °C
- SHAFT DIAMETER: 0.610 to 12.000 inch (15.5 to 304.8 mm)
- BORE DIAMETER: 1.004 to 13.575 inch (25.5 to 344.8 mm)
- SEAL MATERIAL: Bronze, Stainless Steel, Carbon Steel, Other Alloys
- O-RING MATERIAL: FKM is standard. Alternates available
Machine downtime due to bearing failure is costly. By keeping lubrication in and contaminants out, bearing isolators provide reliable, two-way sealing protection of rotating equipment for extended bearing life and zero shaft wear.
Labyrinth sealing technology applied to high performance materials allows MILLENNIUM® ML bearing isolator to operate far beyond shaft speed and temperature limits of standard radial lip seals.
The non-contact design has virtually no torque consumption and therefore will not wear or groove shafts, and allows for non-lubricated dry running. It also accommodates the greatest axial movement in the industry, reducing the major factor that causes labyrinth seal leakage.
We can custom engineer solutions to meet exacting specifications for either new or retrofit applications. When used to replace seals during planned or unplanned rebuilds, the MILLENNIUM ML Profile lowers shaft cost due to liberal specifications. Costs can also be eliminated on tooling charges due to the fact that ProTech is a precision-machined seal.
The MILLENNIUM Profile is the first and only metallic isolator that is unitized without internal O-rings or locking rings. A proprietary unitization mechanism reduces potential leak paths while a non-wearing internal diffuser provides optimal spacing during installation and eliminates metallic dusting during start-up.
An external O-ring on the outside diameter of the stator allows for easy seal installation, maintains a press fit in the seal housing, and provides a static seal against the bore for oil retention. The stator has a sophisticated series of grooves to retain oil splash, which is proven to be the most effective design for oil retention when compared to various competitor designs.
The rotor uses an external O-ring to maintain a static press fit on the shaft. Since the rotor spins with the shaft, it will not wear, groove, or damage the shaft. This eliminates costs associated with having to recondition the sealing surface of the shaft.
The rotor and stator are assembled at the facility where they are permanently unitized, allowing for a one-piece installation. This unitized design also maintains the seal’s integrity by keeping high-pressure water spray, vibration or axial movement from separating or increasing the gap between the rotor and stator.
Additional design features include:
- Reduced flange diameter on many sizes minimizes seal O.D. to equipment housing obstruction issues for easyinstallation
- Internal PTFE diffuser eliminates metallic dusting during initial start-up
- Minimal gap between the diffuser and rotor minimizes vapor flow through seal
- Specifically designed for heavier water spray exclusion.
- Not compatible with vertical down, oil lubricated systems.
- Not recommended for vertical up position. For vertical up position, the MX design is recommended.
The MILLENNIUM ML Profile is our standard metallic design for non-flooded applications where a metallic seal is preferred and flange mounting is required. The flange seats against the housing and acts as an installation guide by ensuring the seal alignment is correct. It is ideal for sealing and protecting the bearing housings of electric motors, pumps, mixers, gear boxes, turbines, blowers and custom equipment against heavy water spray and dry contaminants. The ML design is excellent for retaining grease and oil splash, however the oil level must be below the inboard oil drainback of the seal (non-flooded). If external contamination is heavy in vertical up mounting position, MILLENNIUM MX Profile may be a preferred design.
Total Eccentricity: 0.020” (0.51 mm)
Shaft Speed: Up to 7,000 fpm (35 m/s)
Maximum internal pressure: 0 psi (0 bar)
Axial Movement: 0.020” (0.51 mm). Special designs up to .100” (2.54 mm)
Shaft/Bore: Tolerances ±0.002” (±.05 mm). Special designs available
Stator & Rotor: Available in various metallic materials, listed below.
- Bronze (Standard)
- 304 Stainless Steel
- 316 Stainless Steel
- Carbon Steel
O-Rings: Come standard as FKM, but are also available in:
- FDA silicone
The MILLENNIUM ML shaft mounting positions and respective compatible lubrication types are:
- Horizontal Mounting: Grease, oil, dry
- Vertical Up Mounting: Grease, oil, dry (Optional "MX" Profile design, without drain port, recommended)
- Vertical Down: Grease, dry
The MILLENNIUM ML profile in standard shaft diameters ranging from 0.610” to 12” (15.5mm to 305mm). Because this is a precision machined seal, we can manufacture virtually any configuration.